some of my favorite things from sassy eats q1.
and 27 things i’ve learned from my first quarter century here. post-quarterlife crisis.
because 25 wasn’t enough and i hate odd numbers.
also, these are just things i’ve learned. not necessarily good at doing them.
1. RSVP to events. as soon as you know if you can make it or not. (this is something i’m working on).
2. don’t get caught in someone else’s love story. it might be the most painful broken heart of all.
3. remember people’s birthdays. you’ll be grateful when others remember yours.
4. do the thing you’re afraid of. the thing you’re dying to do but don’t know if you should spend the money on. the thing that you want to do but people might make fun of you for. in the end, you won’t regret it.
5. hug your grandparents. call them. ask them about their pasts. stories. cherish them.
6. the degree you get in college doesn’t really matter all that much. use those four years and a lot of free time to find your passions. also, cherish those friendships – it’ll never be quite the same with any other friends.
7. be careful when taking your first job. in many ways it sets you down a road that’s difficult to turn from.
8. memorize the sound and feeling of falling asleep in your childhood room. you’ll miss it one day.
9. pick up the phone and call them. don’t text or email.
10. embrace your natural hair color. you’ll save yourself a lot of money and time. and bad roots.
11. be your own advocate at work. no one is going to hand you a raise, or get you on the project you want to be on. don’t be a victim, you’re a smart, bad ass chick. be ballsy.
12. have two apps, one main dish and a dessert that you feel 100% comfortable making. oh and a go-to dress to wear. along with a pair of heels you can strut in.
12.5 my mom always said when in doubt – dress up, over dress. if people give you flack it’s usually just because you look beautiful. and have a power suit, dress – something that makes you feel like you, but braver.
13. savor the times your whole family is together – it will get rarer and rarer.
14. dont date your boss. just don’t. or anyone at work for that matter.
15. realize that friendships are like any relationship – they can fall apart if you don’t appreciate them.
16. if he criticizes you, if he can’t tell you you’re beautiful and loved, if he cheats on you – he’s not worthy of you. it sounds obvious, but when you’re in it – it’s so hard to see. don’t forget that you’re a super fox, if you do – let me know and i’ll remind you.
17. study abroad in college – you will probably never get the chance to pick up and leave for four months again, unless you’re really fortunate.
18. my favorite DVF was right – be your own best friend. get to know yourself and you’ll never be lost. go to a movie by yourself, take yourself out to dinner. go on vacation by yourself. there’s a strange calm that comes with just being. and a confidence in trusting yourself.
20. my dad always said – there’s always going to be someone with more and someone with less, someone faster and someone slower. stop comparing. your life will not go according to your plan. i promise. so stop fighting it. yes, i need to learn this.
21. find some athletic thing you enjoy doing. whether it’s yoga or running or rollerblading. it’ll be a stress reliever.
22. know how to change a tire, check your oil, fill a tire, work a breaker box. there’s no reason you shouldn’t and you can’t always rely on someone else to be there. im so glad my dad taught me even when i didnt want to learn.
23. dont overlook the guys in the mailroom, or your doorman or the cleaning woman at your office. when you’re in a pinch, they’re the guys that will come to your aid – not the big wigs in the corner offices.
24. buy yourself flowers without any shame. it’s not embarrassing. you deserve them.
*and if you’re a boy – buy her flowers for no reason. you won’t even know how much it brightened her day.
25. dont interrupt people. it just means that what you’re saying is more important than what they’re saying. this is one of my biggest faults.
26. put your phone away when you’re out with friends. there are few worse feelings than being with someone and feeling like they’d rather be with someone else.
27. be kind. you never know what kind of battle someone is fighting.