back to school, back to school….you know how it goes, adam sandler.
can’t you just smell the fresh pencils and hear the velcro on the trapper keeper (<— 90s kid)? i love back to school season.
i walk to work most days. people think i’m a little nuts – it’s about 2 miles away. but i cherish it. i’m far grumpier in the winter or on a rainy day when i missed my morning walk. it’s like my little version of meditation, how i ease into the day.
it’s funny how routine breeds familiarity. the strangers become friends, they become consistencies in what would otherwise be the unknown.
on my daily walk there’s the guy who looks like he just walked out of an audrey hepburn movie with his coffee and cigarette, his legged propped up on the railing like he owns the street. and there’s the man with the limp who’s walking his two overweight yellow labs. and the homeless guy outside the church, with his cart that’s always so well-organized i can’t help but want to know his story.
i have never spoken a word to any of these people, but knowing they’ll be there tomorrow brings me comfort.
i walk past a few schools on the way and as i was passing one today, the same one i pass every day and there was activity around it. teachers were walking in, students were anxiously adjusting their backpacks and i found myself envious. there’s something about this back to school time that pulls on my heartstrings and makes me ache to be back there.
that first day of school. new skirt on, hair brushed just right, those nervous butterflies. new students. new teachers. sharpened pencils and shiny book covers. all the apprehension of what the next year will bring, and what it won’t.
i don’t actually have a point to this post, just feeling nostalgic. and i have absolutely no segue into food, so here we go.
i loooove chicken burgers. i think they’re the most underrated burgers, except maybe salmon burgers. i make these rosemary ones all the time – but recently i’ve been swapping avocado in for mayo so i thought i would do it here with a traditional burger spin.
i ate this thing out standing over the counter in my kitchen, it was amazeballs.
- 1/2 pound ground chicken
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- kosher salt and pepper – heavy pinch of each
- 1/4 lime, juiced
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeded and chopped (optional for spice)
- For garnish: lemon aioli (a little lemon and mho with a pinch of salt), red onion, lettuce, tomato and whole wheat buns
- preheat a grill or grill pan over medium high heat, spray with cooking spray
- in a small bowl, combine avocado, garlic, salt, pepper, lime and jalapeño.
- split chicken meat in half, and using your hands mix chicken burger meat with avocado mixture. form into patties
- grill each patty for about 7-8 minutes on each side, until cooked thoroughly