i finally found summer.
i had that moment that encapsulates the essence of it.
i was on the front of the boat, the sun warming my skin that was still wet from skiing. i swear i could hear strawberry wine playing in the background. i went all namaste in that moment and found some zen.
and for those that know me, that ain’t easy for me to do. i walk out of yoga class and lose my zen the second i step on the escalator behind two people who are taking up the whole thing.
fast people on the left, lazy slow people on the right. IT’S THE LAW.
or it should be. meganbrooksforpresident?
i digress. first time for everything. in this post post anyway.
i was laying on the front of the boat and for a few whole moments i just wasn’t worried. i wasn’t stressed. i wasn’t being micromanaged, or wondering if i’d ever have that fairytale. i was okay. i was doing fine. better than fine. i was right where i was supposed to be.
and it’s like when your alarm goes off in the middle of a really good dream and try as you might to get fall back asleep into that dream – it’s gone. and during moments like this, the alarm always goes off eventually.
i just wish i could bottle that feeling. and on a day in february when i’m stressed, and cold, and just feel like it’s all wrong and i made bad choices to lead me to that exact moment when i’m just suffocating. i just wish i could drink up that moment of summer right then and there and feel like I’m doing fine. better than fine. i’m right where i was supposed to be.
but i can’t. so we’re going to just have to soak it up and this recipe tastes just like summer. oh you guys, it’s so so good. try it. do it. it’s delicious. the photos don’t do it justice. because i have a crappy camera (working on one). it’s literally just 4 ingredients you’ll actually probably have to buy.
it’s just mmmm.
be a snob when you get your strawberries. get big, red, juicy ones. also – you know how i feel about kosher salt, it’s the louboutins of salt and you my dear, deserve louboutins. oh and you can do a grill pan or if you don’t live in a sandbox, you can use a real life grill.
- 1.5 tbls balsamic vinegar
- 10 strawberries (big red, juicy ones)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- extra-virgin olive oil (get wiggy with it)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (you know how i feel about kosher salt. it’s the louboutin of salts and you my dear, deserve louboutins)
- 2 tbls chopped fresh basil
- in a saucepan, boil the vinegar until reduced by half, about 2 minutes and set aside.
- thread 5 strawberries on 2 skewers.
- brush the chicken breasts with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- in the meantime, heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat.
- grill the chicken and strawberries until the chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes per side, and the strawberries have slight grill marks, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- serve drizzled with a little olive oil and the reduced vinegar and sprinkled with basil.