“maybe we can sleep in, make you banana pancakes, pretend like it’s the weekend now….”
everybody with me now!
banana pancakes. jack johnson?
i saw him in concert once. a gazillion years ago. because that’s how old i feel today. a gazillion years old. in a gazillion years old rut.
i think it’s all the babies. and the weddings. and the three day hangovers. everyone is having ‘em. babies, that is. and weddings. which is really exciting. but that’s the thing about being in your late 20s – everyone is in such different places. you don’t even know you’re old enough to have kids until you’re more than old enough to have kids. like your best friend will have two children and you’re just trying to remember to bumble message that guy before the 24 hours runs out. (i kid. people tend to take everything i say on here really literally).
and then you find a gray hair and you scroll to your facebook pictures circa 2006 because you realize you’re way past your prime and why didn’t i just walk around naked for all of 2002 when i looked like that? past.your.prime, darling.
today was one of those days where i couldn’t get anything right. it started last night. when i had a coffee table delivered from pottery barn that turned out to be a barstool from west elm…..riddle me that one. and then my barista made my coffee wrong this morning and i spilled yogurt on myself and everyone had something to say about every single thing i did today. you know those days when you do everything right but everyone else has a right-er way of doing it? and the whole day feels like you’re punching underwater? sock it to ya, wednesday.
but it’s all going to be fine. you’re doing fine, you’re doing great. and hey, there are always banana pancakes. and when you think about banana pancakes doesn’t your world get a little bit brighter?
banana pancakes are sunday mornings, coffee in bed, with nowhere else to be, nothing needed done. the world isn’t asking anything of you quite yet.
these little gremlins are little sweet, carby gifts from me to you.
also, pretty sure i don’t look like those pictures circa 2007 is because i stood over the counter shoving these into my face without breathing. and i’m not the least bit sorry about it. besides, it’s almost sweater weather.
- 3/4 cups white or wheat flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 large very ripe banana, peeled (or 2 small)
- 1/2 cup fat free milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. mix until combined.
- put the banana in a small, separate bowl, mash with a fork.
- add the milk, eggs, vanilla and cinnamon and salt
- pour the banana mix into the flour mixture
- stir gently until combined, it’s ok if there are a couple of lumps
- place a skillet over medium high heat. you want the pan to be hot, but not too hot (i know that’s not helpful)
- then using a ladle, pour some mixture and cook until it bubbles, a couple minutes, then flip.
- repeat – this will make about 6 pancakes.
- serve with butter and maple syrup.]