burgers are always a good idea? when in doubt burger out?
that’s how the saying should go anyway. if i were queen, that’s what i would’ve said. although, paris is too and i’m pretty sure it wasn’t the queen that said that. by da way, did you see those photos of george with the queen?! spit me out and tickle me pink that’s a whole lotta cuteness.
back to burgers. it’s america’s favorite pastime and it’s spring so it’s almost my favorite season – lake/grilling season. because apparently my family is the exception to the grilling-is-three-months-of-the-year rule. my family doesn’t put their grill away. we don’t not grill. ever. blizzard? i’ll grab my uggs. torrential rain? i have a jacket with a hood.
my sweet, petite mother has taken on hurricane ida for the perfect grilled steak. if we had hurricane in indiana, she would.
for all you slackers who haven’t grilled in 8 months (the horrorrrrrr) it’s about time to dust it off and fire it up. and make a freaking burger. or three. no judgment.
i love the classic beef. i could also sprinkle in some chorizo. go pork. get down with the beet. but at the heart of it all, i love me some black bean burgers. i’m picky with veggie burgers – if it’s potato or rice based, forgetaboutit. black bean burgers are almost always homeruns.
and they’re so easy to make. i’m telling ya. when in doubt, black bean burger.
- – 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- – ½ jalapeño (seeded and diced)
- – ¼ cup onion
- – 1 egg
- – 1 cloves garlic, minced
- – 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- -1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- – 2 tablespoons cumin
- – 1 tsp salt
- – ½ tablespoon olive oil
- – ¼ cup corn (frozen, fresh, canned works)
- – avocado, lettuce, tomato, mayo, ketchup etc for toppings – you know the drill.
- – buns
- You can do this in food processor, but this is the manual way.
- rough chop garlic, jalapeño, onion.
- smash the black beans with a fork or your hands. add 1 can of beans to jalapeño mixture and combine. add cumin and salt.
- stir in breadcrumbs, tomato sauce, flax and corn. stir well until everything is combined.
- now taste it. this is when i added some more tomato sauce.
- heat olive oil in skillet over medium high heat. form black beans into patties and cook 4-6 minutes per side until crusty brown.