Here’s the thing.
When you have a niece as sassy and awesome and cute as mine, you HAVE to make pink bunny pancakes because you will literally win the rockstar aunt away for at least a day. and hearing her peals of laughter and giddiness at the sight of them is more satisfaction than the most complicated dish could give me.
So I present to you – pink bunny pancakes.
Not pictured: rainbow sprinkles added to the top because I obviously don’t say yes to everything a four year old wants. No matter how much she begs with those pleading little blue eyes.
Did I mention how cute my niece is?
I do try to get her in the kitchen as much as possible, I truly think she’s learned a lot. She’s learning motor skills, she’s learned how to crack eggs, she’s learning about teaspoons and tablespoons and – most importantly – it distracts her so I can talk to her about other things. What she’s learning at school, why she refuses to go back to lunch bunch, what she thinks about the latest book she read, and she teaches me her latest nursery rhyme.
It’s that good old quality time that I fear has gone out of style sometimes. It’s those little quiet moments as she focuses so hard on ensuring no egg shell goes in the batter and then looks up at me with such pride when she’s done it that I cherish. It’s lily and maemae time and I’ll always hold it close.
- 2 Pancakes (from scratch or straight from a box)
- Pink food coloring
- 12 blueberries
- 1/2 banana, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- Whip cream, for garnish
- Sprinkle of shredded coconut (optional
- In a bowl, make the pancakes. Add a few drops of pink food coloring at a time, until you get the color you desire.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Pour batter into skillet, making two circles - one slightly bigger than the other. Wait until it bubbles, then flip, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Add batter to skillet once again, making long ovals that will make the ears. Flip when it bubbles, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- To arrange: Place the larger circle first, then the smaller one above it, slightly overlapping. Finally, add the eats.
- Arrange blueberries and banana for the feet, and add a dollop of whip cream and sprinkle of shredded coconut if desired. Serve immediately. Serves two.