i need one of those rolling carts that homeless people have for my 2 pm meeting. laptop, cellphone, chapstick (don’t ask), water, coffee, large notepad for notes, small planner for planning, maybe a snack in case i get hangry. all for a meeting 20 feet from my desk that lasts for half the time that a ‘making a murderer’ episode does.
if a will smith end of the world movie comes to be, make sure you’re in a meeting with me –we’ll be golden for at least a week.
maybe i should get a binder circa 1999. those things were handy. all those pockets, i could even get one of those pencil pouches. a trapper keeper. that’s what they’re called. was driving me nuts. kind of like i’m doing to you now.
it’s chiberia so what else would you grill up tonight besides burgers? oh you don’t grill in -25 degree windchills like this lunatic? my mom always did it growing up so i thought it was normal but then i came to learn that people actually put their grills away? like, in hibernation for the winter. that’s like 6 months of not grilling. such a sad existence.
if you don’t want to lose fingers over grill marks, buy yourself a grill pan, yo. it’s my bff here in chicago – mostly because my parents stopped paying other people to be my friends.
about this recipe. i cannot get enough brussel sprouts. it’s pathetic. i’m like a five stage clinger when it comes to sprouts –i want them all day, every meal, any which way i can have ‘em. shrooms are just good. shallots are an ingredient that i’ve always enjoyed but i cooked with it a lotttt over the holidays and i’m digging it. it does make me cry crocodile tears as i slice it – but it’s a sacrifice i’m willing to make.
and i wanted all of these things and a burger – so boomchakalaka. here we are. i thought crispy brussel sprout chips would be an interesting accoutrement. turns out, they’re amazeballs. i had them when i was in san francisco and have been meaning to make them.
the only problem was, i didn’t get a chance to really measure how many sprouts i ended up needing for the burgers, because i kept eating them….so you’re just gonna have to use your noggin for that one.
- 1/2 ground chuck or sirloin
- kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 shallot, sliced (you’ll cry. it’s normal)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- about 6 brussel sprouts, leaves removed. (MAKE SO MANY EXTRA THEY’RE SO GOOD)
- about 8 mushrooms (full disclosure: i ate a few of these too)
- 1 tsp butter
- buns (optional)
- mayo (optional)
- let meat come to room temperature before you get all antsy to start cooking. pour yourself a glass of sauvignon blanc.
- form meat into patties, add salt and pepper to both sides
- pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- add sprouts to bowl, toss brussel sprout leaves with olive oil. sprinkle some kosher salt and pepper on this bad boys. place them on cookie sheet, in one layer and pop into the oven. flip brussels sprouts every few minutes, cook for about 8 to 10 minutes until they start to brown and get crispy
- meanwhile, in a skillet over medium heat – add the butter. top with mushrooms. cook for a few minutes, until they start to brown. add the shallots, cook for a few more minutes. reduce heat to low/warm
- heat a grill or grill pan, add the patties. cook until desired doneness about 4 to 6 minutes per side.
- set aside and let rest. meanwhile, add butter to buns and toast on grill or grill pan.
- let’s put it al together – mayo on buns, brussels sprouts, mushrooms and shallots it all goes on the patty.