i know this is old news but i just watched the finale of homeland and i feel exactly the way i did when they wrote off peyton and luke from one tree hill. stop judging me. you totally watched it.
ahhh. how will we move forward???
well, let’s start with talking about more things i’m behind on. apparently woody’s is the new chitown hotspot. enough said. i’m moving. my guy friend who-shall-remain-nameless goes, “i don’t like that place, it’s full of douches. let’s go to benchmark”…. if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck……
more things i’m behind on. crockpots. i just got one. i know what you’re thinking – does she still use a zach morris cellphone too?
i just feel like i’m cheating on cooking. i enjoy the labor behind cooking. slow cookers takes the magic out of it for me. buttt i’m also a 25 year old with a full-time job who struggles to find the time for work, running, cleaning, grocery shopping, friends,douches guys at woody’s and keeping my sanity in tact.
hence, the crockpot.
i’m not sold. it was like getting waxed. it seems like a good idea, and the end result is pretty nice but the experience is mehhh.
plus – i’m not a huge fan of dips (i know, blasphemmyyy) but most are so horribly unhealthy. and i wasn’t in the mood for chili or a roast. i found a recipe for chicken verde and BAM – lost my crockpot virginity.
i wasn’t entirely sure if i would like this dish either. it used poblano peppers and tomatillos, not ingredients i use often.
however. i was so PLEASANTLY surprised. when i see the flavor is refreshing and unique – you MUST make this! i must say though, that i told my sister about this dish and she starts laughing at me and goes “that is the most complicated slow cooker meal i’ve ever heard of. the point is to throw in everything and forget about it.” you can give the cook a crockpot but you can’t make her stop cooking? eh. you know what i mean.
recipe adapted from cooking light
- – two chicken thighs (drumsticks would work too)
- – 2 garlic cloves minced
- – 1 tablespoon olive oil
- – 1 tomatillo, husk removed and quartered
- – 1/2 onion quartered
- – 1 tablespoon of fresh oregano
- – 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- – 1/2 tablespoon corn starch
- – 1 teaspoon salt
- – 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- – 1/4 cup chicken stock
- – 1/2 lime
- preheat broiler.
- combine first 5 ingredients, tossing to coat. arrange on cookies sheet. broil 10 minutes or until vegetables are blackened in spots. place mixture in a blender; add cilantro, chopped oregano, cornstarch, salt, pepper, juice from 1/2 lime and stock. remove lid to allow steam to escape for a quick minute. then blend until smooth.
- heat a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. coat pan with cooking spray. add chicken thighs/drumsticks; cook 5-7 minutes or until browned on all sides. arrange chicken in slow cooker; top with tomatillo mixture. cover and cook on low 4 hours or until done.