i am not a person who has solid dumb luck.
i know, i’ve told you this before so i’ll save you the sob story – instead, you can read about it here. but guys, it all changed. for this one moment, it all changed. down came luck like santa down the chimney.
my parents are cleaning out the basement spare room – which, mind you, is still a place that terrifies me to my core. i once found a mouse in the spare room and nearly poughkeepsied in my pants. i can take on spiders and snakes but there is something about a mouse.
anywho – so there i was going through old boxes, shaking in fear of rodents, reminiscing about my youth – man, i was cute – just having a grand old time. i was wrapping up and about to walk out the door when something caught my eye – a box.
it said – “kitchenaid.” IT WAS A STANDING MIXER. a white one, no less for this bright color fearing cooking fanatic. i ran up the stairs like a mouse was chasing me and told my mom and sister. as it turns out, my sister suddenly recalled that for her wedding, she was given two mixers. she preferred the red one that she got and didn’t have a receipt for the white one so she stashed it away.
my first thought was – “i could’ve had a standing mixer for 6 years and i’m only now finding out about this?!? i have been slaving away, churning butter and sugar with a little handheld zach morris mixer when i could’ve had the brass ring?” then quickly realized that she had the power to take it away from me.
long story made a little less long by saying i now have a standing mixer in my humble abode. it freaking rocks.
bad news is, baking is still not the best time of my life. i want to love it, but it’s so infuriating. testing baking recipes makes me want to run a grater against my face.
it took me a couple of times, but finally these little peppermint, festive elves were born. after a failed truffle attempt and one round that was too dry, i think the baking gods just took pity on me and threw me a bone.
whatever magic transpired, i’ll take it. we’ll just toss it up to a christmas miracle.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract (optional)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup crushed peppermint hard candies
- preheat oven to 375°F.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. Beat together butter and brown sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in peppermint extract and egg until combined. Reduce speed to low, then mix in flour mixture until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips and candy.
- Line a 13-by-9-inch metal baking pan with 1 sheet of foil, allowing 2 inches of foil to hang over each end of pan, and butter foil (except overhang).
- Spread dough evenly in pan and bake until puffed and beginning to pull away from sides of pan, about 20 minutes.
- let cool completely before slicing into.