i want to faceplant into this.
i’ve had a bit of a burger problem recently. it’s a real issue. like i was having an internal temper tantrum a couple of weeks ago because my favorite hole-in-the-wall hamburger place at the lake was closed. and i needed that burger.
i think it’s because summer’s ending. and there’s just so much i need to do. and see. and mostly eat. and cook. and drink. and it’s giving me anxiety because everyone keeps sending me fantasy football leagues (which i mean, come onnn) and fall boots and plaid shirts and i’m not ready for plaid. i need another night on the town with my mini, and a sunset in my bikini before i’m ready for my riding boots and cashmere.
i love fall food but i haven’t had my fill of burgers yet.
and i’m not even discriminating anymore – i’ll take any kind of burger-esque thing i can get. bun optional.
i had a veggie burger at 25 degrees a few weeks ago that i can’t stop thinking about. i made black bean burgers. and turkey burgers. chicken burgers (oooh ahh yaa). sloppy joe’s this weekend. pulled pork sliders.
just give it to me all and let me enjoy it with a side of summer.
and this is very unlike me.
i haven’t been a huge burger fan in the past. they were always kind of blah to me.
this burger is not blah. this burger is a surprise. the really good kind. that sneaks up on you and you don’t want to end. short of the time i walked down michigan ave eating a shake shack burger in nyc, this tops the list.
in college my housemates had an obsession with frank’s hot sauce to the point of having a full-fledged kleptomania problem. they would steal it from everywhere. we would leave a restaurant and 7 girls would pull 2 bottles of hot sauce out of their purses. each. like guys, i know we’re in college at all but there is frank’s for sale at the kroger for $2 down the street.
i would wake up in the morning, walk downstairs and smell frank. it would get left out or the bowls wouldn’t get washed and do you know how hard that stuff is to clean off dishes once it’s hardens? i used to get so annoyed about that. but now, i can’t see a frank’s without thinking of jenna across the room from me with frank, each of us with our popcorn and wine watching some trashy lifetime movie and just laughing.
sriricha. srircha is my frank. ill eat it on anything – fish, eggs, potatoes, rice. my college housemate cory (ironically enough) introduced me to this little gem and now i can’t imagine life without him. and on this burger, my oh my.
the cilantro is really good too. if you’re not a super fan, do it in the burger mix and then top with normal lettuce.
whatever you do, just do it (the burger. make it). especially over labor day.
which p.s. i’ll be sending my fave labor day recipes tomorrow. chill the beer. it’s time to play.
- 1 pound 90% lean ground sirloin
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 hamburger buns
- 3 tablespoons lowfat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha (ok…i was generous with this and defs did more. i like some spice in my life)
- 1/3 cup cilantro sprigs
- heat grill (or grill pan)
- in a bowl, add sirloin, chopped cilatnro, koser salt and pepper. mix until well-combined.
- make four patties out of mixture
- add patties to grill pan, grilling 4-5 minutes on each side until it’s done to your preferences
- while those cook, butter 4 buns. add to grill, cooking for about one minute until they’re toasted.
- in a small bowl, combine mayo and sririacha – mix until well combined.
- once buns and patties are done – spread sriracha mayo on each. top with cilantro and any other ingredients you so please.