this salad will change you for good.
i had this salad recently at the odeon in nyc – which – you must go to. it’s in tribeca and is a neighborhood staple. everyone you see there looks important. it’s not so important that they are important (though many of them are) as much as the feeling that they’re important elevates the entire dining experience. the restaurant itself is not grandiose – it’s not opulent, but it’s not that modern sleek feeling that so many new restaurants have. it feels like you’re in the nice neighborhood joint, the place your parents would take you on special occasions.
ny times recently did a feature on it – check it outtt. then go. and order this salad.
i can’t say enough things about this salad. this is seriously my favorite way to eat salads. from here on out, it’s frisee frisee freeeee falllinnnnnn. <— don’t quit me, i need you.
the secret ingredient? starts with “bake”, ends with “on”. BAC-ON.
it’s okay if that took you a minute, no judgment. the other secret ingredients?! homemade croutons and a poached egg.
i know what you’re thinking. megan – croutons are crusty pieces of bread. croutons are croutons. one isn’t better than the other. and i’m going to give you a big spoonful of supercalifragilistic-you’re-wrong. you’re only quitting yourself if you don’t just walk your badonkadonk over to the bakery, grab a little baguette for .60 cents and go home, cut it up, add olive oil, kosher salt and some garlic and BOOMCHAKALAKA the clouds have partedddd!
i did cheat though. technicalllyyy the odeon has bacon lardon (bacon fat, typically from pork belly) and i got lazy and figured with bacon, you always win.
this is a great opp to perfect your egg poaching skills, which i think is a basic survival skill. they’re simple, and i think they’re fun to make but i’ve been reminded that i shouldn’t be the benchmark for what normal people think is fun. apparently. because i think mandolins are toys. whatever.
go get your frisee on!
oh and don’t forget to save the bacon grease for the salad dressing! don’t forget, or you lose!
- 1 head frisee salad
- poached egg
- 2 slices of bacon, diced (because who eats ONE slice of bacon?!)
- two sprigs of fresh thyme
- 3 to 4 slices baguette, diced
- kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (any kind!)
- 1 teaspoon dijon
- 1/4 cup evoo
- remaining bacon grease
- squeeze of a lemon
- to make the bacon: preheat oven to 400. line baking sheet with foil, pop bacon on top, put in oven wait 12 minutes. KEEP GREASE IN BOWL. then tear into pieces.
- to make the croutons: preheat oven to 400 degrees. brush slices of baguette with evoo, salt and pepper, and garlic if desired. pop in oven, wait and bake for about 15 minutes
- to poach an egg: Boil a saucepan of water; add vinegar, reduce heat to medium, and, using a slotted spoon, swirl water. Crack eggs, one at a time, into a ramekin, and slide into water; cook until whites are set, about 2 minutes.
- to make the dressing: combine evoo, dijon, bacon grease, lemon and salt and pepper to taste
- to assemble the salad: add frisee, bacon, croutons, top with poached egg and bacon vinaigrette