tuesday = 1. me = 0.
so i made tacos.
tacos – actually just all mexican food – make me happy(er). when i think of tacos – i think of sombreros, warmth, music and margaritas (duh, happiest buzz ever. plus they’re required when making tacos, it has something to do with the flavors and i dont know, just go with it ok?) – so yeah, happy food.
but these ain’t yo grandma’s tacos. these be special (just like you).
these are fancy tacos, in my world.
speaking of fancy, is it weird that whenever i have a bad day i for sure dress up the next day? growing up, when my mom was going to something important like a meeting with a lawyer or a big event, she would put on her “power suit” with her pearls.
so maybe it somehow rubbed off on me. and i swear, it actually works. whenever my mom put that power suit on, she took on her alter ego, the sasha fierce to her beyonce, she held her head a little higher and strutted with confidence (yes my momma struts, she can rock heels better than posh spice).
my office is super casual, to the point that if you dress up – someone thinks you’re interviewing. but you best believe, hump day will find me in my power suit.
bad day cure – booze, cocktails, bubbly, power suit/dress/skirt, grateful notes, dancing in your room to your favorite song and cooking. blues = banished. if not, let me know and i’ll come do all those things with you (it might not help but i’ll let you laugh at me).
i digress (what’s new) so back to fancy taco’s. there’s just no good segue there. trust me, i just deleted some awkward thing that took you from fancy clothes to fancy tacos and just be glad you didn’t have to read it.
flank steak. fresh cilantro. homemade tortillas (recipe here). i used two different tortillas (use what you have) and folded some, kept some open. variety is the spice of life.
- 2lb flank steak
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/2 garlic clove
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne (red pepper flakes work too, just need a little heat)
- juice of one lime
- 1 tsp paprika
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- shredded cheese (i had some italian so used that)
- tomatoes, diced
- onion, diced
- 2 tsp fresh cilantro, diced
- shreddd lettuce, optional
- in a food processor, add garlic, cumin, honey, cilantro, paprika, cayenne, salt, pepper, lime juice. pulse until well combined.
- place in ziploc bag. add flank steak. cover and let marinade for 30 minutes in fridge.
- *i’ll caveat that it doesn’t make a ton of marinade, but it doesn’t need to. flank steak has a great flavor, so this is just added infused flavor.
- in the meantime, make homemade tortillas (recipe linked in post)
- heat skillet over medium high heat, add olive oil.
- when skillet is hot, add flank steak, cook for 7-9 minutes on each side.
- slice flank steak and add to tortilla
- top with tomatoes, fresh cilantro, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, lime juice