i gave in today.
i just looked my hankerings straight in the eye, shrugged, and said ‘ok. have it your way.’
wear leggings to work with the wrap that acts like a blanket you can cocoon yourself in.
eat blue skittles.
take that second cookie on unabashedly with excitement reminiscent of a russell simmonsworkout video.
leave work to go on a 30 minute errand to get a book when you have a to-do list that makes lindsay lohan’s “elevator list” look like the pope’s.
oh you want that glass of wine? bottoms up, girlfriend.
it started last night when at 8:30 i decided i had to have homemade chocolate chip cookies. and so i made them. which is normal when you’re me. i mean, i once spend 19 hours of my life making desserts that looked like reindeers and santa clauses. i honestly think it had more to do with the fact that i hadn’t cooked all day and so my sunday just didn’t feel right versus really wanting cookie
i just didn’t want to deal with the battle today.
but it’s monday. and i gave in. and i’m not that mad about it. which is kind of a big deal in my life because once upon a time i would not be okay with it. i would have been about as okay as amanda bynes is right now. i don’t know if any of you have ever had that realization, but its a pretty powerful little thing. so there’s my silver lining today.
i’ll just do better tomorrow.
the good news is i refrained from throwing a stapler at someone.
oh my gosh, which reminds me. do you guys know about ‘let me google that for you?’ i can’t tell you how many times a week i want to do it. look it up. someone do it. i’ll love you forever.
anyway. where we we? oh yes. hearty beef stew. because i heart you.
i kind of want to crawl under the couch for saying that. i am the worstttt.
a family friend made this soup and i don’t remember how some of it ended up at our house but it did and i loved it. i never did get the recipe from her so i just made up my own little version. it’s a filling soup and you can really tailor it to whatever your pretty self pleases. you could for sure add potatoes, but that felt too heavy to me when there’s already barley. you could add peas. i totally should’ve added peas. so do it for me and tell me all about it.
or better yet, invite me over. i’ll bring the wine!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound beef stew cubes
- Salt and pepper
- 3-4 carrots, peeled and sliced into coins
- 1 cup chopped onion, about 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 2/3 cup barley (not quick-cooking)
- *add peas and mushrooms. do itt!
- heat olive oil in pan on stove. once hot, add beef cubes and cook about 4 minutes on each side. remove beef to plate with paper towel. then place in slow cooker.
- in same pan, add onion, carrots and garlic. cook for about 4 to 5 minutes. add to slow cooker.
- add chicken broth, beef broth, barley, tomato paste, and thyme to slow cooker.
- give the soup a good stir and place on low for about 6 -8 hours.
- also, i ended up adding a bit more broth when it got a little thick – so just keep an eye on it midway through and add to your taste.