chicagoans are losing it. for real. more than when the blackhawks won the stanley cup, more than the snowpocolypse of 2012. more than that really warm st. patrick’s day when we all had three degree sunburns and ran through the streets naked with flip flops on. wait you didn’t do that?
we’re grouchy. we have two scarves on, a parka and are waddling like penguins with our heads down and tears streaming down our face only to wait 20 minutes for a bus and it to pass us because it’s full. we’re sick of the cold and wind and snow and we’re sick of talking and thinking and avoiding and hearing and drudging through the cold and the wind and the snow. and yes, i realize that HERE i am bitching to you about it when i was annoyed with people that were just months ago, but that’s what two chiberia’s, winter storm titan and falling ice from the john hancock building will do to a girl. i’m a hypocrite and i dont care.
it just won’t end. we’re all ready to move away or hole up permanently with mulled wine. and who can blame us?
this is why i went on vacation by myself (fantastic decision too).
i read this and it helped. this winter is giving us major bragging rights one day. we’ve gotten 60 inches, making it the top 10 winters since winters were recorded. that’s badass.
and i got to thinking about silver linings and figured the least we can do is try to help out our summer selves (even if summer lasts for all of 19 days, i mean – at this rate) and that means helping out our future bikini wearing selves.
this dish is like a skinny spin on chicken piccata. minus the flour. and the pasta. so it’s really just chicken with mushrooms and capers but chicken piccata sounds fancier. and i’m never fancy so just let me have this ok?
anyway – it’s good and light and simple. and my salt tooth loves the capers that mixes into the mushrooms. and this would be amazing thrown on some spaghetti or pasta with some tomatoes. see – then it’s almost chicken piccata. it’s chicken piccata’s skinnier cousin.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tsp canola or vegetable oil
- 2 cups mushrooms
- 3 tbl capers
- 1 cup bread crumbs (i used plain, see seasoning below. if you have italian herb – that’s great, just skip the seasoning)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbl water
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- *sometimes i add a splash of white wine for some tartness, optional
- bread crumb seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- preheat oven to 350.
- in a skillet heat the oil and butter
- in a bowl add breadcrumbs and all ingredients in seasoning above, if needed until mixed.
- whisk egg with water in small bowl.
- dip each chicken breast in egg and then in breadcrumbs, coating thoroughly.
- cook chicken in skillet until browned, about 2 minutes per side.
- in a baking dish add chicken, mushrooms, capers.
- Squeeze lemon juice of 1/2 lemon over chicken.
- add chicken broth to bottom of baking dish.
- wrap tightly in foil.
- place in oven for 25-30 minutes until cooked thoroughly